Energy conservation involves the process of identifying energy wastage and taking steps to cut down on this waste. This can imply to many simple practices, such as unplugging appliances when they are not in use. Using energy-saving appliances and fixtures is also an important part of energy conservation. As per Paul Favret, the two biggest reasons to conserve energy are to save money and the environment. Energy in any form costs money. Be it oil, gas, or electricity. By conserving energy at home, people can save considerably on their electricity bills. The way people use energy has a direct impact on the environment. Conserving energy can significantly help people to do their bit in conserving the natural resources of the planet.
Paul Favret discusses certain easy ways to conserve energy
Trying to conserve energy will not make the life of a homeowner uncomfortable. By just making a few small changes to their lifestyle and home, one can make a big difference to the environment. Being able to save money in the process is just an added advantage. Here are a few simple ways by which one can conserve energy:
- Turn down the refrigerator: The refrigerator consumes on average 13.7% of the total home energy use. Therefore, to save electricity at home, one should set their fridge to 37 degrees Fahrenheit. They can essentially set their freezer to 3 degrees Fahrenheit as well. By doing so, they can make sure that their refrigerator consumes less energy.
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs: Installing energy saving LED or CFL bulbs for all the lighting needs at home can be quite a smart idea. Doing so can reduce the energy use at home by approximately 25-35 per cent.
- Clean or replace air filters: Air conditioners and heaters are the ones to use the most energy in most homes. They make up a considerable part of the electricity bill. HVAC systems use more energy if their air filters are dirty. Dirty filters make the machine toil harder. Therefore, homeowners need to make an effort to clean and replace filters on a regular basis.
- Do full loads: This is one of the simplest ways to conserve energy at home. One needs to wait for a full load before running their dishwasher and washing machine. According to Paul Favret, this method helps save considerable energy. It will also free people up from the hassle of doing laundry every day.
- Air-dry dishes and clothes: It is better to let the dishes air dry rather than using the drying feature of the dishwasher. Similarly, clothes can be hung outside on the balcony to dry.
- Cook using the right-sized burner: One must use the small burners of their stove for small pots, and a larger burner should only be used for large pots. This will aid in using less energy every time a person cooks.
In addition to following the pointers mentioned above, one must also try to cut down on air leaks in their home. Homeowners must seal up any window and door cracks with caulk or weather stripping. This will make sure that they do not spend too much energy on staying warm during winter and cool in the summer.